3.23.2008

Easter.

Today I went to church with my family and endured one of the creepiest Easter Sunday services ever. I despise so-called "contemporary" churches in general, but I will admit that the seating is very comfortable, and I thought the lighting was okay. Otherwise: bad music from the strange almost-rock band, an interpretive dancer, interactive stage props for the sermon and following call to action with said props. There was a fairly nicely produced hymn music video with periodic testimony from a lady with cancer and her family, recounting their stories and reactions, and finally her resulting experience with the church's cancer survivors group.

It felt like I was watching from a critical outsider perspective, so I didn't pay much attention and just settled in and wrote things and read the Bible (Psalms and Revelation; strange thing to do, but hey, books are for reading). The descriptions in Revelation are fascinating, and akin to reading mythology.

I realized that when it comes down to it, when I imagine in my mind what I would consider to be enjoyable church, I feel like it should be steeped in tradition and beautifully reverent. I want ceremony, in grand places full of the architecture and colors and smells that make old churches so wonderful.

+++ Olin & Blue(ish)/ambient demo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

blue(ish)!

so, you have to work at 11 sunday? and saturday is semi-party night (no slamming, though...)?

let's go to early church! catholic church! get all dressed up all hungover and listen to tradition and ritual and none of that contemporary shit.

i think this is the sort of thing that feels "productive" and for ourselves. need more of that.

about

My photo
Allison Road, United States
Ever since I was a real baby, I've tried to understand life. Other people haven't helped.

+++

+++

archive

+++

+++